Sunday, March 13, 2016

A Learning Experience

Hello, everyone! I have had one busy weekend! I kicked my weekend off by dancing it out at my high school's Mini Dance Marathon! Over $2,000 were raised for the University of Iowa Children's Hospital!

Dance Marathon with the squad

Judging at Special Olympics
Not only did I get a great workout in by dancing for a great cause, but I also had the opportunity to judge at the Mid-Winter Tournament of the Special Olympics! I was able to judge the cheerleading and dance portions of the competition, and I was given the opportunity to hand out awards at the end of the day!
I took many things away from volunteering at the Special Olympics. The first thing that I took away was, nothing is impossible. One of my all-time favorite quotes by Audrey Hepburn states, "Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" As I judged many of these kids and adults at Special Olympics, I saw the drive and determination they had in their hearts. I can guarantee you, anyone who possesses these characteristics can succeed in anything they set their mind to! The second thing I took away from this experience was, be grateful for what you receive. While I was handing out awards, there wasn't a single participant that wasn't overjoyed and grateful by their placement. There was one participant that hugged me and began to cry because she was overwhelmed with so much happiness. There were groups that didn't receive first place, but they were still so excited of what they accomplished. I recall one coach telling her team, "Win or lose, your hard work always pays off!"


Personally, I think that other sports teams should go to watch events at the Special Olympics. So much can be taken away and learned from these kids. For me, it was very humbling to see how grateful each and every participant was! Placement didn't matter to these individuals. The fact that they worked hard was more than enough for them. It makes me realize that it's not always about winning. In fact, it has never been about winning! It has always been about doing your very best and realizing that your best is what truly makes you a winner.

 I can't wait to keep you all updated on the rest of my experiences throughout this year! Thank you!


Sincerely,

Sophia Aguirre
Miss Muscatine's Outstanding Teen 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment